By Brandon Fortin (and Frodo)
In August 2018, my two year old wolf hybrid, Frodo, and I hopped in the 4Runner and drove three hours west of Charlotte, NC to the border of TN. We parked at Carver's Gap and started our hike on the Appalachian Trail.
5 things to know about this hike:
1. If you park at Carver's Gap it's a 4.7 mile round trip, out and back trail, with 1,033 feet of elevation change.
2. There are three main Balds; Round Bald, Jane Bald, and Grassy Ridge Bald
3. Grassy Ridge Bald dominates the center of Grassy Ridge. At an elevation of 6189 feet, it's one of the highest grassy Balds in the Appalachian Mountains and on the East Coast.
4. Scattered throughout the meadows on the summit, as well as along most of the trail, you'll find beautiful specimens of rhododendron and flame azaleas. We also saw several wildflowers along the route, but didn't get a chance to see the rare Gray's Lily, which is indigenous to the area.
5. The views are amazing and there are plenty of places to set up camp. We had one of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises I have ever seen. This is a photographer's paradise.
Shared by Brandon Fortin. You can follow Brandon (and Frodo) on instagram at @bfortin22